The North Carolina Section of the Institute of Transportation Engineers, known as NCSITE, is a professional society of persons involved in transportation engineering activities. It is affiliated with the Institute of Transportation Engineers (ITE), an international professional society of transportation professionals. NCSITE was established to promote sound transportation engineering practices in the planning, design, operation, and management of transportation facilities and equipment for the safe, convenient, and efficient movement of people and goods in North Carolina. The NCSITE membership includes a broad range of transportation personnel–engineers, planners, educators, administrators, and technicians. Many modes of transportation are represented in the organization’s membership.
GOALS & MISSION
NCSITE was established to promote sound transportation engineering practices in the planning, design, operation, and management of transportation facilities and equipment for the safe, convenient, and efficient movement of people and goods. To achieve this goal, NCSITE has adopted the following objectives:
- Encourage qualified persons to enter the transportation engineering profession.
- Encourage professional training and development of persons engaged in transportation engineering.
- Develop increased coordination and cooperation with local governing bodies, private organizations, professional engineering groups, and ITE.
- Increase public awareness and involvement in transportation engineering activities. • Stimulate transportation-related research activities.
- Promote communication between persons with mutual interests in transportation engineering.
- Establish an exchange of professional information and maintain a centralized point of reference and action for transportation engineering professionals.
- Represent the interests of members in the transportation engineering profession when transportation-related legislation and policy matters are represented.
Councils and User Groups
There are 5 Councils of NCSite that serve the membership in leadership, outreach, and advocacy. These Councils focus on a wide range of topics such as fostering leadership development, developing technical training and support, and coordination between private consultants, public agencies and the supply community. Membership to these Councils is open for Members and Non-Members, except for the Strategic Initiative Council which is by invite-only.
NCSITE supports five user groups that hold regular forums and meetings to discuss topics, innovations, and issues pertinent to their fields of expertise. The user group help practitioners hone their technical skills and support research efforts for the State and ITE.
Awards and Scholarships
The NCSITE Awards Program was established to recognize outstanding service and commitment by members. All the award recipients are selected from a pool of nominees by the Award Committee with the exception of the President’s Award, which is given by the President in office. The Awards Committee receives the nominations and then strives to honor the most deserving individuals for that year.
The NCSITE Scholarship Program was established to attract students into the transportation profession and to assist qualified students interested in transportation in pursuing their academic careers. A three-tier program of scholarship was developed to support students at different levels in their academic careers.