Safe Systems Summit: Redefining Transportation Safety
The Safe Systems Summit: Redefining Transportation Safety offers an inclusive and interactive learning environment to explore the underlying systems driving the national rise in traffic deaths, share findings from research and practice, and develop insights into reducing transportation injuries and fatalities. The event will be held Sept. 13-14, 2018, at the Durham Convention Center in Durham, N.C.
The #SafeSystemsSummit brings together inquirers and innovators working on technology, research, data, policy, and local practice in transportation, health, and other fields. Invited and confirmed speakers include a fantastic array of thought leaders from around N.C., the U.S., and abroad, including:
- James H. Trogdon, III, the Secretary of North Carolina’ Department of Transportation
- Mark Ezzell, Director of N.C. Governor’s Highway Safety Program
- Ann Dellinger, Branch Chief at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Leah Shahum, Founder and Executive Director of the Vision Zero Network
- Rod McClure, Dean of the Faculty of Medicine and Health at Australia’s University of New England
- Phil Koopman, Associate Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Carnegie Mellon University
- Jeff Michaels, Associate Administrator at the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
- Kristen Hassmiller Lich, Associate Professor in the Department of Health Policy & Management at the UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health
These and many other speakers will challenge our assumptions regarding Safe Systems, offer insights into how we can reduce the road death toll, and provide perspective on the future of transportation technology and safety from an interdisciplinary perspective. The Summit is co-presented by CSCRS and the North Carolina Governor’s Highway Safety Program. Registration costs are low ($35 for participants, $20 for students). Group registrations are available; for assistance, please contact Marie Melendez.
Don’t wait: reserve your place in this unique learning community by August 17!